Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I Remember.....

i remember that horrible gut wrenching feeling i had. i remember the incomprehensible demoralization. i couldnt even look at myself in the mirror. i felt like there was a hole in my gut the size of a bowling ball. i was bankrupt. i had no God, No faith, and i was TIRED. the usual thing i would do when i felt like this was pick up the bottle or better yet the pipe... but i couldnt. the shit didnt work for me anymore. i remember i started drinking with the thought of 'if you cant beat em' you might as well join them' i started drinking because i didnt like the way i was feeling. and as ironic as it is, oct. 17th, 2004... i couldnt pick up the bottle or the pipe because it wasnt working anymore.

i was left with two options: either continue to live as if i were already dead. OR make a life changing decision and go to rehab. i went. i stayed for 16 months then moved back home to my moms. I have accomplished more in the 3 years ive been in recovery then i have in my 21 years of life. i got my GED. i went to college for drug and alcohol counseling- Graduated, and now i work with teenagers that are just like i was. i can look people in the eyes. and im comfortable in my own skin. i dont have all the money, cars, house with the white picket fence, prince charming and all that other shit that my head likes to tell me is happiness. but i do have a life beyond my wildest dreams.

that bowling ball sized hole in my gut has been filled, i have a God today, i have faith. ive learned how to be a daughter and a friend. im employable.

i learned how to live life. i can be a productive member of society. and 3 years ago the thought of that was unbearable.

i have choices today. i can choose how im going to spend my day. i can choose how im going to live my life. i didnt have a choice before. i COULD NOT take the pipe out of my mouth, there was no choice. i accepted that thats how i was going to spend my life and eventually it became ok to me. its not okay today. i choose to not die an alcoholic/addict death. i want to live today. i want to make a difference in life and not just be one of those hopeless zombies i see everyday.

before i came to recovery all i knew how to do was smoke dope, sell dope, come up, and HURT everyone i love in the process. i cant even express how grateful i am today. i got clean and sober at 18 years old. i never stuck a needle in my arm and i never got arrested. but i know what its like to live in addiction. and i now know what its like to live life on life's terms as it what meant to be lived. i can say today that LIFE AS IT IS... is worth it.



i am so unbelievably grateful for my life today.

Ashley

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story is incredible. You are an inspiration. I think I want to be like you when I grow up.... if I ever do.

I'm proud to have known you.

brandon de los hills de chino said...

Ashley you are a inspiration to those around you. You have come a long way since that day I pawned my brothers' guitar for dope to you. Keep up the good work. Don't forget that everyone has days that aren't the way we want, but it makes the days we really enjoy all that much better. K.I.T and tell A-Pimpin I said Q-Vo. Peace. Brandon from the Haunted Hills.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I know that anyone reading it will be inspired!

Dale
aka unspun hero